The Coffee With Nearly Chicago And DHA

If we were having a coffee this week mine would not be a caramel macchiato because, alas, they appear to be a bit rubbish here in America.

I’ve broken the back of my 10 day trip here to Chicago. I phrase it that way because it is a work trip rather than for pleasure. To be honest, I’m not really in Chicago either – that would be a bit like saying that I’m in Liverpool when I’m at home when I am, in fact, a 30 minute drive away.

I got to the airport very early on Monday morning. My regular taxi driver could only do the trip at 9am which got me to the airport a good three and a half hours before my flight.

It had taken me a good while to get to sleep on Sunday night, and not for my normal slightly stressed pre-travel reason, but because I was deconstructing Coldplay’s Fix You in my head and isolating all the individual instrument tracks. No, I don’t know either….

Anyway, needless to say, I breezed through Security. I got coffee and went to look for some of the noise cancelling headphones I’d been eyeing up. They were much cheaper in duty free so I got a pair and they turned out to be a godsend as I took my seat for eight and a half hours behind a family with two small children.

The food on the plane was strangely nice compared to how I remember it. It was probably full of salt! The guy next to me ate his strangely though! For some reason he put his Shepherds Pie on his crackers and then put his cheese in his Shepherds Pie.

The cabin windows in the plane were dimmed along with the lights so I got a whole 4 minutes sleep on the plane while watching all 8 episodes of the first season of Stranger Things. Despite the lack of sleep, I wonder if the lighting helped because jet lag has really not taken hold like it used to. I woke up a few times on the first night but not enough to not get back to sleep again.

Border Control is probably worse than I remembered it now that you need to use a computer and then seemingly have the process repeated by a human.

Work started on Tuesday and has been intense. I won’t bore you with the details, but we’re attempting to harmonise the processes on two systems in to one that will serve both. Both current processes have flaws, one more so than the other. For the most part, we’re falling to the simple process, which is good, but then someone wants a customisation or a bespoke design that takes time and effort and loses flexibility and it frustrates me that it’s considered when it’s just driving poor business habits.


Unfortunately, because of where I am, there is not much choice when it comes to fun in the evenings. The hotel doesn’t have a bar or restaurant (although they do do breakfast) which means that our only real option is a mall half a mile away, and Cheesecake Factory every night is getting tedious.

On Thursday, I went to the restroom. I’m sure you’ll all acknowledge that that is such interesting news! The reason I say it is that I had a proper case of deja vu. When I get that, I usually remember (think) of something that is supposed to happen next. In this instance, that thing was receiving a message. I took my phone out my pocket but no message arrived.

However, that’s not the only bizarre thing that’s happened the last few days. About 36 months ago, a friend “split up” with me. I dedicated quite a bit of this blog to working out my feelings over it and her cause it wasn’t so simple for me. It took me a while, but that was that.

On Saturday morning, I woke up from a dream about her. The scene was a house warming party. There was a buffet and lots of people were there. Her and I didn’t talk, but her boyfriend eventually did in fairly incomprehensible questions to which I could only give one word answers. There was a photographer there taking, well, photos of stuff. He wanted a group photo of everyone on sofas, but there were none so we had to go to a sofa shop.

At that point I woke up and went about my day. On Saturday I went to a pub to watch the football and then in to Chicago. We did a few touristy bits but it was red hot so hard work really! At this point it’s worth saying that I’m doing this post on my iPad and it’s taking forever, so I’ll do a proper post including photos next week.

This morning I woke up from another dream about her. I was at a charity event in a pub. I can’t remember that much about it other than a strange figure stood on a balcony and three grey bricks in a wall. As we left, my dad did a handbrake turn in the road because he had forgotten his phone. I looked at mine and had a message from her. It had a picture of her and some words, one of which began with a ‘p’ but the rest of which I can’t remember.

Today we went I went to see Cubs beat Reds 9-0 at Wrigley Park. I love old baseball grounds. They’re just so much different to modern stadiums. It seemed to take much more of the day than I was expecting!

I think that’s about it. I’ll post properly about my trip next week when I have a computer. I don’t know if I’ll do my normal News post tomorrow yet. I hope that your week has gone smoothly. Speak to you next time.

Leave A Comment?